Explore this database and map for EPA Violators in your area (updated as of July 10, 2014). In the map below, click a red dot to reveal a breakdown of violations in each region. For a more detailed view, click on a cluster, search for cities, states and zip codes using the magnifying glass button above the map, or sort through the database beneath for other information. (Note: Database works best with the Firefox browser.)
A guide to database terminology is located at the bottom of the page.
For The Crime Report's examination of EPA investigative practices, click HERE.
*Data pulled from Environmental Protection Agency Enforcement and Compliance History Online
A Quick Guide to the Data
- Total Penalties: The amount a facility has been fined in the last five years.
- CAA Compliance: Shows if the facility has had a Clean Air Act violation, and if it has addressed the violation.
- CWA Compliance: Shows if the facility has had a Clean Water Act violation, and if it has addressed the violation. Some of these results are coded, for an easy EPA guide to these codes, click HERE.
- RCRA Compliance: Shows if the facility has had a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Violation, and if it has addressed the violation.
- SDWA Compliance: Shows if the facility has had a Safe Drinking Water Act Violation, and if it is a "serious violator."
- SNC: Shows if a facility is judged to be in "Significant Noncompliance," a label applied to chronic violators, those who discharge particularly dangerous pollutants, or who meet other factors outlined HERE.
- Quarters in Noncompliance: The number of consecutive quarters during the last three years that the facility has been in noncompliance.
- Formal Enforcement Actions: The number of times in the last five years that the EPA has initiated administrative orders or judicial orders.
For more detailed information about individual facilities or locations, visit the EPA Enforcement and Compliance History Online site, linked HERE.
(Questions/tips can be sent to The Crime Report's Deputy Managing Editor, Graham Kates: email@example.com)